Friday, January 22, 2021

Acid Blood...Black Goo...Milk Blood...Necromancer Eyes...

 

I ran two Alien The Roleplaying Game One Shots for Extra Life back in November 2020 and the Destroyer of Worlds mini-campaign in November and December. Prepping for those plus the Blank Check Podcast covering the franchise on their Patreon Extras Feed meant I re-watched all the films from September through January. Naturally, I've immortalized the list on Letterboxd...

cover image of the graphic novel adaptation of William Gibson's Alien 3 script

I also revisited the excellent graphic novel adaptation of William Gibson's unproduced Alien 3 script which the Alien Roleplaying game mines to excellent effect to fill out the setting. Needless to say, I highly recommend it to any fans of the films and even treated myself to the audio adaptation (though I have not yet listened to it).

Having exhausted the well of Alien films, I decided to give the Ridley Scott produced Raised by Wolves television series a shot this last week, and I am mighty glad I did...

While not set in the Alien universe, it has gallons of android milk blood, lots of the strange philosophical bent of Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, with plenty of creepy, nearly abandoned alien planet and apocalyptic Earth for good measure. 

I was delighted that it burnt through plot much faster than I anticipated and the performances of Amanda Collin and Abubakar Salim, who play Mother and Father, respectively, are truly incredible. Other than warning that there is a bit of body horror, especially of the eye variety, I don't want to spill much about the plot that isn't teased in the trailer above. This is a series that I will be pondering, mining for ideas and anxiously awaiting the second season of for quite a while.

4/5 Sin-stained Demons

 


 The first season of Raised by Wolves is available to stream on HBOMax
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment